You might have probably forgotten the old files that existed on your hard drive while installing new windows files. If you’d like to delete Windows Setup files in order to free up space, we will assist you to locate and remove them permanently.
Windows Setup files
Old windows files remain in your hard drive when you upgrade from existing system files to new system files. Old windows files are stored on the hard drive in case if anything goes wrong in new windows installations, you can get back the previous version of windows files. Nonetheless, if you’re sure that you won’t return to the earlier version of windows, you can remove those old windows files.
Even though having old windows files won’t cause any damage to your PC, it’s advocated to have a backup if something accidentally happens while upgrading windows files.
Delete Windows Setup files
Deleting old Windows Setup files is not as easy and simple as selecting and deleting them directly with the Delete button. However, it’s a bit complicated to remove them and it doesn’t take too much time.
Follow the below steps to delete windows Setup files.
- Click on the Windows Start button at the left corner of the page.
- Click on the Search button.
- Type Disk Cleanup text on the Search bar and
- Right-click on the Disk Cleanup option.
- Choose the option Run as Administrator.
- Tap the dropdown arrow below drives.
- Choose the drive that has windows installed. Usually, Windows is by default stored in the C drive.
- When you select windows drive, two options Ok and Exit buttons appear.
- Choose the Ok button.
- Disk Cleanup in Disk Cleanup for Windows(C) has two options Disk Cleanup and More options. Click the checkbox beside Previous Windows installation(s).
- Click OK
- Click the Delete Files button.
Deleting old windows setup files will make room for new ones. Before you begin clearing the old windows files, be sure that you won’t need them in the future. Since, Once you deleted the previous version of windows, you will not get them back unless you have a secondary backup.