If you’ve installed apps and software and wish to delete them, we will help you delete broken registry items on Windows successfully. Even if you have removed it from the control panel, files you deleted from the control panel still exist in the computer in the registry editor.
What’s a broken Registry file or Item on Windows?
Windows registry is a repository where information of your files, machine-specific settings, applications, and OS is stored in the form of Keys and values. Windows OS invariably refers to registry files (the Keys and Values) if any software or hardware is installed, uninstalled, or modified. With help of a built-in Windows Registry Editor (Regedit), you can alter registry key values to boost the performance of windows.
It is better not to do anything to Windows registry files unless you know about the app’s key and values thoroughly. Since, if anything goes wrong, your entire system gets damaged. Therefore, you must be judicious while altering the keys and values of any particular app.
How to delete broken Registry items in Windows 7?
Before you proceed to delete broken registry items in Windows 7, ensure that items to be deleted are backed up in any place. Add/Remove program display list of Windows-compatible apps and programs that have an uninstall program or feature. However, there are certain apps or programs that don’t have Add/Remove features that have to be removed manually.
You might have installed and uninstalled a lot of software from the control panel. However, the deleted files still remain on your computer till you clear them from registry files. The Regeditor keeps your uninstalled files. If you are willing to delete them permanently from your computer, then you need to edit the registry settings.
Follow the below steps to delete the registry items in Windows 7.
- Click the start button and type Regedit in the search bar.
- When you enter Regedit in the search bar, it appears. Give a right-click to it and run as Admin.
- It lists out HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
- Click on a folder with the name HKEY_CURRENT_USER and choose the software with an arrow icon to get into it. You can find a list of installed software.
- If you wish to delete any file or software then right-click on it and choose the Delete option to delete registry files in Windows 7.
With these, registry files will successfully be deleted. Follow the same process to delete the remaining files.
How to delete broken registry items in Windows 8?
There are several ways one can use employ to clear registry files in Windows 8. You must be careful while removing registry files in windows 8 as even one file deletion may make windows 8 nonfunctional. Windows 8 registry can also be used to remove registry items.
Follow the below steps to remove broken registry items.
- Click the start button and enter Regedit. It displays a list of items.
- Look for entries in the registry you’d like to delete.
- Give a right-click on the software and delete the item.
With this, registry files can be successfully deleted. However, this way is not recommended as it causes a lot of problems. The best and effective way to clean a registry is to make use of third-party registry cleaning software. Remo Optimizer is one such tool.
How to clear registry files in Windows 8 using Remo Optimizer
- Download and install Remo Optimized software on your computer.
- After installation, it starts scanning your computer.
- Once the scanning process is done, it displays a list of a number of unnecessary files and issues that exist in the registry.
- Before it starts fixing the issues, it backs up registry files automatically.
- Select unnecessary registry files you’d like to delete and click on Continue.
- To begin repairing registry issues, click on Fix issues.
- You will get the complete info of deleted files.
How to delete broken registry items in Windows 10?
Follow the below steps to delete broken registry files in windows 10.
- Type the Registry Editor in the Windows search bar and right-click on it to launch the app.
- As soon as you right-click, you will be prompted with a box with options Yes and No.
- Click Yes to open the Registry Editor window and explore HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- You will find software wherein you get a list of registry files. Choose and Right-click on the file the program you’d like to remove. When you right-click on the file, you will find the Delete option, click on it to close the file permanently.
- Follow the same process for all programs to delete.
- How to delete Windows Setup files?
- How to delete previous version of Windows?
- How to delete bookmakrs on Mac?